Monday, March 18, 2013

Marry Durham celebrates 2nd Anniversary: I still do


It’s been two years since I placed a ring in Frank Stasio’s nose.  It was one of the best days I’ve spent in Durham.  How can you forget the day a crowd too large to count gathered on the700 block of Rigsbee Avenue to marry Durham?

I’m still married to Durham.  The love affair gets better each year.  The better is getting better and the worse isn’t so bad.  You learn to appreciate and celebrate the totality of the relationship.  The truth is all that bad stuff wasn’t so bad.  It all depends on how you look at things.

So, I’m getting ready to celebrate two years of marriage.  Frank Stasio will join me and the rest of the gang at the Motorco/Fullsteam end of Rigsbee to rekindle memories of the marriage between citizens and a city. Things kick off at 2:00 pm, and the Bulltown strutters will lead the parade starting at 2:30 pm.  If you missed the wedding day and last year’s anniversary, please, please don’t miss the celebration of year two.

Many of Durham’s black women will be at the PNC arena to listen to J.D. Jakes at Women’s Empowerment.  It’s always troubling that many miss the wedding due to conflicting events.  I can’t blame people for wanting to hear Jakes and Wendy Williams share inspirational messages.  I would love to hear Erykah Badu and Charlie Wilson perform. 

It happens every year. Should I celebrate Durham or opt to be entertained at Women’s Empowerment?  What matters the most, a parade with folks wearing wedding dresses and tuxedos, or a gathering of some of the top black speakers in entertainers in the country?

Sounds like an easy one – go with option number two. Right? Wrong.  Deciding to renew my vows is one of the most important things I could do.  It’s the most important thing we, as a city, can do.  Yes, it has been done before, but we need it more and more with the passing of every year.

Why? Because Durham continues to get thrown under the bus by those brainwashed into believing Durham is unsafe.  It’s important that we put the rest of the region and nation on blast.  Durham is all of that with two bags of chips.  Durham is supersized.  It’s the best among the rest, and we are willing to march, dance, sing and shout it year after year.  We keep coming back because we take our vows seriously.

There are other places I could be on Saturday.  I could stay home and watch a basketball game.  I could head over to Raleigh and participate in the festivities at the PNC arena.  I could do that, but why would I? How could I?

Why would I say that? I say it because no city has loved me like Durham.  No other city allows me to be myself.  Durham has received the best and worst of me.  Yes, it has been rocky at times.  There are days when I’m forced to sleep on the couch.  I’ve been thrown out a few times, but she keeps letting me come back.  She loves me – for better and for worse.

It’s important that I tell her how much I love her.  I’ve taken her for granted.  I cheated on her a bit this past year.  A few other cities caught my attention.  I saw them looking at me on the internet.  They looked so lovely.  Words about her sucked me in and had me considering a relationship.  I continue to be tempted. Yes, I’m guilty of being seduced.

I love Durham, and I know Durham loves me. I do, over and over again!

Join me on Saturday to say I love you!

Come Celebrate Our Second Anniversary

2:00-5:00 pm  Parade at 2:30 pm

Saturday, March 23, 2013

700 Block of Rigsbee Avenue

 

No comments:

Post a Comment